Sunday, 14 August 2016

The students' strike

Education is maybe one of the most important things in the world. Societies cannot develop without an educated population. We know that the most developed countries have very good educational systems, so that education should be the primary concern of all country governments. Through educational systems we grow as individuals, we learn how the world works, we form a critical thinking, and realize the subject that we like.

Chile is a very unequal country and their education reflects this, we have an educational system inherited from a military dictatorship, where the economic interests of other countries influenced a lot in creating the system that we have today in the country. However In the last years the people have realized this, and they are demanding solutions.

I consider myself a person who has been educated in the context of the student movement, I studied in a municipal high school and in 2011 I was in second year, from that moment I began to educate myself about the national context. I was an active participant of the movement and even that I repeated that school year because of the long strike. However I do not regret about that. I think that they are necessary sacrifices for the collective progress. 
Therefore I strongly support the student movement in Chile, however, the movement has lately deteriorated because the divisions in the people, I think that we must expand the movement to other sectors of the people, with the community workers, not only at the students or the universities. We need to make better links with secondary students too, only in this way we will get real changes. Also we need to change the forms of protest, the Shutdowns universities no longer serve much today, maybe it worked in previous years.
However, I really have hope in the people and the changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment